Monday, February 11, 2013

Sorting and Sifting

The Sorting and Sifting stage is where students continue evaluating information and organizing it for their needs, but on a more refined scale. McKenzie compares this stage to how "a fishing boat must cull the harvest brought to the surface in a net."  He also points out that the more complicated a research question is, the more important this stage is.  

At this stage in the cycle, I am beginning to feel like my information need is close to satisfied.  I am realizing that my questions were not complex and I was able to find answers to them in a relatively easy fashion.  I have some information, but not an overwhelming amount to the point that I feel like it needs to be sorted or sifted.  I credit some of this to the fact that my inquiries were focused in a more creative realm, so there are not definitive answers.  Much of it is dependent on personal tastes, so it's hard for me to feel like I can present 'data.'  

  
Resources:
 
McKenzie, Jamie.  The Research Cycle.  2000.  Web.  8 Feb. 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment