Monday, February 11, 2013

Learning Theories

Reading about learning theories has been something that I've found interesting for a long time, so I enjoy sifting through all the information.  David Kolb's Experiential Learning is something that I connect with strongly.  His learning cycle of "Do, Observe, Think, Plan" is how I best like to learn (I think!).  And in identifying with this cycle, I would consider myself an accommodator, because I learn best when I have the opportunity to work hands on.  This assignment has made me notice this even more, because as I was exploring different ideas for projects I had the urge to start one.  And I found it challenging to continue outlining all the steps of what I was doing...I just wanted to do it!  :)
  
At this point in my life, I can't imagine teaching a distance course like this because of all of the various learning styles that may be in the class.  I think it must be more difficult to anticipate these learning styles, and it may be harder to get a read on students via the web.  Having knowledge of these styles and being able to provide appropriate experiences would be quite a challenge.  As a librarian, I know I will deal with different learning styles, but being able to work one-on-one or in small groups with patrons may make it easier for me to adjust my techniques to better suit them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment