Monday, February 11, 2013

Gathering

This is the stage of the process in which students begin actually looking for and at information.  In this stage, students may need to rework one of their initial questions.  McKenzie stresses the importance of organizing information as it is gathered to prevent students from gathering up too much unimportant information.  He also points out that students should use the Internet only if necessary, because books and other resources on hand in the school library may be more efficient.  

At this point in my research, I've realized that I may have merged my with my planning.  I do realize that I have yet to find an answer the main question of "What is upcycling/repurposing?"  I found a definition on Wikipedia:  

"Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or for better environmental value."

I also feel like I need to gather a more concrete list of materials that could be used for upcycling/repurposing. 

Here are the materials I've come across on Pinterest that are the most interesting to me:
  • Freight pallets
  • Old ladders
  • Old dressers
  • Shutters
  • Wine bottles
  • Empty picture frames
  • Buttons/broaches 
  • Books
  • Window frames 
  • Wire garden topiaries 
Another question that I would like to explore further after this stage is 'What kinds of things can I do with the materials?" Here are some ideas I gathered based on the materials I was interested in:














Resources:
McKenzie, Jamie.  The Research Cycle.  2000.  Web.  8 Feb. 2013 

Wikipedia contributors. "Upcycling." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 24 Jan. 2013. Web. 9 Feb. 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment